Tuesday, May 25, 2010

THROUGH THE LENS SDAA/MIDE 2010 PHOTO COMPETITION



Refer to the above.

I am not a professional photographer. Nor I doubt I’ll ever be. But I do love to take underwater pictures. I started venturing into underwater photography in 2008 when I got my 1st ever expensive camera... a G9 + housing (for me it’s expensive). Didn’t know how to use manual mode, know nothing about aperture, shutter speed or ISO.. NA DA! It took me awhile to understand and familiar myself with the camera. But I had a lot of help especially from sifu AB LEE. He is a professional photographer who takes awesome pictures.... and when I say awesome.. I mean AWESOME! RESPECT!
For the past couple of years, me and some friends go for the MIDE exhibition which usually held in PWTC, Kuala Lumpur. They have booths that sells dive equipments, do resort bookings (local and international), talks, scuba discovery and a lot more. We usually end up buying some diving stuff and checking out the winners of the photo competition. So after looking, analysing and criticising (pretending to be one of the judges) the winning photos, we decided to enter our photos for this year MIDE Photo Competition *ehem*. Now unfortunately there are no categories for amateurs, instead this is what they have:

Wide Angle – a favourite of experienced underwater photographers
Macro – an intensely competitive category emphasizing close-up views of tiny critters
Art – anything goes, including traditional photo tricks, composites and CG
Malaysia - featuring the best of Malaysia’s diverse underwater spectacles

As you can see the predicament I’m in is really giving me a headache. I would think they should at least consider categories that have amateur skills in it!! Anyway, after a lot of discussing and deliberating amongst my friends, I’ve decided to enter 5 pictures which I will compete in Macro and Malaysia category. Yeah yeah yeah....... no way I’m going to win but the whole purpose of entering this competition is for fun!







1 comment: